• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button


I spent most of last week hobbling around home – not being able to put weight on my right foot properly due to the blisters on the ball of that foot.  It made for a lot of enforced rest and I have to say my feelings of fatigue has lifted considerably.

MD drove me to my scan on Tuesday (on her way to work) and I was a picture of sartorial elegance wearing my royal purple ugg ankle boots.  I usually wear them as slippers round the house as slippers and don’t wear them out in public but they were my best option for getting on and off my feet on Tuesday.   I felt like a ‘patient’ as I shuffled slowly along the corridor.  I usually don’t feel that way as no-one can usually tell that there is anything wrong with me.  For a ‘larger’ women I move very fast, and even though I know I’ve slowed down since first having treatment for ‘Gertrude’,  I still walk faster than most people.  As OD told her class of stragglers the other day “My Mum’s on chemo and she walks faster than you” 🙂

After the scan I got a coffee and something to eat – as you aren’t allowed to eat before scan – and then caught the train home – the station is right outside the hospital so very handy.  I timed it with OH’s coming home from work so that he could pick me up from the train station.

I managed to get some housework done during the week by doing it in little bursts with resting my feet in between.  I finally felt my feet had settled down enough on Friday to venture out to get a blood test and run other errands downtown, so with my comfiest pair of sneakers on, I ventured out.  I actually managed to walk from one end of town to the other, slightly more tentatively not striding out like I usually do, and having a long sit down break at the Labtest place waiting for my turn and then on the return journey stopping for a coffee and another sit down.  On Saturday I managed to get my most comfortable pair of black flat shoes on so we could get some family portrait shots done.

The main painful blister underneath my second toe ‘popped’ with all that walking so with the pressure off it has become less painful to work on although now a have a small weeping hole at the crease of where my toe meets my foot – yes I know too much information!!! Hopefully this will dry up today – I am staying at home and keeping it uncovered in the hopes that it will, also keeping watch for any signs of infection.

Of course now the usual scanxiety sets in, I get the results at my assessment on Wednesday and am hoping that it shows a dramatic reduction in tumor size so that the oncologists can give me the absolute go-ahead for our trip with YD to Dreamworld – now only two weeks away and that I can make plans for the next semester at uni.  I am pretty sure it will show exactly what we want it to but until Wednesday those nervous little ‘what-if’ butterflies are dancing in my stomach.

Leave a comment

1 Comment

  1. Sis M

     /  July 3, 2011

    – Its probably good and bad that you had to take enforced rest (Good in the fact you needed to reduce your fatigue levels. Bad in the fact you like being active) – all on the mend now, but rest up for the Oz trip


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: