• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button

Lazy? or just forgetful?

Last Thursday, I had nothing to do for the day and thought I’ve been so lazy this week but then when I went back over the week I realised that I had only been particularly lazy on Wednesday and Thursday and that I had a big weekend planned so that I needed to pace myself.  With chemo-brain I actually find it really hard to remember what I have done from day to day.

What have I done lately …. with not having university classes and also not having an exam until the 23rd I have only just started study today and didn’t touch my books at all last week.  Last Monday was a public holiday so it was a slow start to the day for everybody – I was still in my pjs (one-boobed) when my BIL who was up from Invercargill knocked on the door.  (After seeing me at my best on Saturday when we had picked him up from the airport and delivering him to my Mother-in-law’s where we spent most of the afternoon.)  Oh well – welcome to the real me 🙂

Tuesday I was planning to spend at home but had a last minute change of heart when a twitter friend said she had a spare free ticket to a movie.  So I decided to go and meet up with her and another women – neither of whom I had met before.  I am a lot more spontaneous and fearless than I used to be.  We saw “Water for Elephants”. 

Wednesday was my lazy day.  I read books  and played on computer.

Thursday I ran a few errands.

Friday I  got my eyebrows shaped and tinted in the morning – my eyebrows are the one place you can tell this chemo is having a thinning effect on my hair – unfortunately not thinning in a great shape.  the tint was to make what was there more noticeable.  I’ve become a firm believer in ‘Look Good, Feel  Better’  although it seems a little superficial, it definitely makes me feel less like a ‘cancer patient’  and did a couple of other errands.  Because OH had the day off – in the afternoon we went to the latest ‘X-men’ movie.  We decided to spoil ourselves by buying the ‘La premiere’ seats which give you meals bought to your seats and reclining chairs – I have to say I have become a fan of reclining in comfort to watch a movie on the big screen.

Saturday was a very busy day.  Blood tests then picking up both OD and YD from their respective houses and then down to the train station.  We spent the day in Newmarket and I managed to pick up a ‘Mother of the Bride’ outfit in a sale for a third of its usual cost.  I hadn’t actually planned to buy as the wedding is approximately a year away, but when OD and I saw the perfect outfit – we thought I may as well get it.  Did lots of walking – so much so my xeloda affected feet were very sore by the time I got home.  I think next time I do that much walking I need to wear my sneakers. Comfort over style in footwear may have to win out for the remainder of my time on xeloda although I have bought some very cute and comfy satin lined slippers for wearing round the house

My feet weren’t the only thing that suffered on Saturday.  YD likes to hold onto my arm when we are walking.  I have had to train her to hold onto my left arm as my right is lymphodema compromised.  Unfortunately she tripped over the curb and started to fall pulling me with her.  I managed to stop her falling completely but in the process my back got twisted a little – It is starting to settle so I think it is just a muscular thing rather than my spine being out of alignment but I have had to add diclofenac to my usual pill tally until it stops hurting completely.

Sunday was  another OD & R wedding related day.  We met with them and R’s parents to look at a possible wedding venue – OD being the organiser that she is, would like to have a venue and a date before she decides on anything else.  We all like the one that she and R liked and so they will make a definite date there for in about a years time.  They have just got to check with prospective bridesmaids and groomsmen tha they will be free then.  We then went out to lunch to celebrate the engagement with both immediate families – we the parents had met each other but they had not met MD and YD and likewise R’s brother hadn’t met all of our family.  By the time we got home and then delivered YD back to her house the business of Saturday and Sunday had caught up with me and I had a very quiet night.

Monday today – after a slow start to the day I had intended to go for a walk down town this afternoon but I ended up staying in and watched TV and computer updates for what was happening with more big earthquake aftershocks in Christchurch.  

Tomorrow – I will study more and then on Wednesday I will have my next oncologist assessment.  Hopefully Dr H will give the go ahead for the Dreamworld trip – and the next round of Xeloda

Not really busy all the time, but not as lazy as I thought either.


Next Post
Leave a comment


  1. Sis M

     /  June 13, 2011

    – you so deserve to do as much or as little as you choose

  2. cuz Jen

     /  June 13, 2011

    you probably find you havent got chemo brain….just old age brain like the rest of us lol

    good to see you are enjoying life Jen

    • jaydub26

       /  June 14, 2011

      NO – there is a real thing as chemo brain – whilst i know that my memory at 48 is possibly not as sharp as when I was 28 – my memory problems are a lot worse than just old age memory problems. As is my fatigue.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: