• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button

Overtaxing my brain

I got the results of the brain scan last Tuesday when I saw Dr H. The brain scan came back as normal – my children joked the doctors can’t know me very well then and my reply to that was it was the brain structure they were looking at, people could make up their own minds about the state of my mind. LOL!!

Dr H wants to schedule another CT scan of my chest just to make sure the node is still shrinking/shrunk. This will be done mid-April. I am still getting quite a lot of pain in my chest and I talked to him about whether I should try to wean myself of pain killers – he said it may take up to 3-4 months for the pain to calm down even if the node has shrunk.

This combined with the fact he wanted to do another scan did put me in a bit of a blue mood as I have been concentrating on Uni and thinking by the end of April things would be all over. I have been struggling quite a lot with the reading and assignment part of Uni as by the time I get home I am usually too tired to study. Most of the time I push stuff to the back of my mind but the conversation we had brought it forward again and reminded me that even after April there are going to be ongoing tests and medication. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the next scan will show the node has shrunk and that I will definitely be stopping the Vinorelbine at the end of April. Carrying on with the Herceptin after that won’t be anywhere as tiring or nausea-inducing, although they have also scheduled another echocardiogram of my heart to keep an eye on the Herceptin’s effect on my heart function.

I have just finished my second assignment and I have to admit sometimes I wonder whether I am doing the right thing trying to do Uni full-time.  I haven’t updated my blog that often because I just run out of steam.  I may have more time to do a catch up blog in the holidays but with MD coming up from Christchurch for a week and a half and YDs 21st Birthday the first week of the holidays it may be the second week before you get an update on here. 

Just so you dont think I am running myself completely ragged – I made sure that we didnt have YD this weekend as she is coming home for some of Easter and then the following weekend for her Birthday party.  I spent yesterday banging out my assignment so that I had some down time to share with OH today.  We visited MIL this afternoon but then spent the evening going for a sunset walk at Maraetai. 

Sunset at Maraetai

After we had walked from one end of the beach and back again – we sat on the beach and had a burger and watched the sunset.  A very good end to the weekend. I forgot to take my proper camera so you will just have to make do with the pictures from my phone.

red sky at night

moon over Maraetai

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: