• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button

Getting there…

Well, I have kept getting more active this last week.  The only major issue I have at the moment is a bit of tenderness in my right arm about half way between my shoulder and elbow on the underside.  The physio thinks it is to do with lymphodema.  I think if I have active days I need to lie down for a short time in the middle of the day with my arm elevated instead of spending all day upright with my arm hanging down collecting fluid.  I sent an email to my cancer liason nurse to see if she thinks I need to see the lymphodema therapists at the cancer society.  I am doing my pilates once a day on my busier days and twice a day on my not-so-busy days. The mobility /range of motion is improving gradually every day. 

Last week I achieved quite a bit  – I organised an appointment at the corsetieres for my mastectomy bra and prosthesis – this will be happen on the 9th of June.  They are also going to put a little pocket for a prosthesis in my existing togs so that I can swim in the resort’s pools while we are in Australia.  There is apparently seven different pools!!!  Can’t go therre and only look at them!

I also caught on a lot of little errands and while I was out doing them I made sure I got my cardio exercise by parking my car at one end of  town and walking to the other.  I am supposed to try and get 20-30 minutes cardio exercise by walking 3 times a week. 

On Wednesday I had lunch with sis M and niece S and afternoon tea and usual activities with YD.

On Thursday I had my physio appointment for my ‘pink pilates’ she is happy with my progress and is giving me a few more exercises to do each time I see her. Some of them are about regaining my mobility in my arm and some of them are about improving my overall strength and fitness.

On Friday I had my herceptin chemo in the morning at Auckland Hospital. I drove myself in (this last week is the first week I have driven myself around much – no longer have to use the squishy cushion under the seatbelt.) and on the way home I stopped off at Sylvia Park shopping centre to do a couple of errands and get my exercise by working the length of it and back.

After being a busy beaver for the last 3 days and having a few problems with my arm I decided to give myself Saturday off and just have a quiet day at home, as I had already made arrangements with YD to do stuff with her on Sunday.  On Sunday OH, YD and I went to Botany for lunch and had a wander round there and did grocery shopping.  On the way we stopped off at Manukau and bought me a new digital camera. 

Last night and today  I have been playing with it and installing the software on my computer to down load pictures etc.

Previous Post
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: