• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button

Relatively normal?

Well, I am sitting at the computer desk and feeling relatively normal.  My energy levels have definitely been back up this last week and I have been busier than usual I’ve done more cooking, housework etc this last week than I have for the last few months and generally enjoyed feeling more like myself.    The dentist took the two remaining broken teeth out last Thursday and my mouth is still a bit tender from that so eating softer foods at the moment.

On Friday evening OH and I went to the movies and had a quick bite to eat at Sylvia Park.  We had to choose a restaurant that had softer food for me on its menu. 

  On Sunday YD and I went out  to the beach (Maraetai) and had lunch in the cafe there, because it was such a glorious day, then we visited her Grandma W (my M-I-L) we talked about its not completely obvious that I haven’t got a lot of top teeth because I dont show a lot of teeth normally when I talk and also my pronunciation isnt too lispy because I have got a high arch to my mouth so can still sound out all my consonents correctly.   Because the dentist wants to wait till my mouth has completely healed I probably wont get my teeth until after surgery.  I have made an appointment to get measured and molded for my new plate on the 9th April.

When I had taken YD home to her house I came home and (without knowing where I had taken YD for lunch ) OH asked if I wanted to go out to Maraetai and have dinner out there by the beach.  I burst out laughing and said yes of course.  It was lovely sitting in the cafe and watching over the water as dusk settled. 

the view from the cafe

the view from the cafe

As you see we are all making the most of this return to normality before I am out of action for a couple of weeks when the surgery is done. 

The infection is continuing to heal and today the district nurse wanted to try a different dressing on it , just to help it heal all the way to the top.  It’s not the silver antimicrobial dressing so I am a bit nervous about another infection developing but the incision/infection site is drying up a bit too much to use the silver dressing effectively.  with the new dressing you press the plaster/dressing right into the wound (now only a few millimetres deep) and you can actually see the site through the dressing.  MD was surprised to see how shallow the site now was compare dto how deep it had been originally.

I see the breast surgeon this Thursday to make the final plans for my surgery.  She last saw me on the 22nd of December (where she was a little worried about how my portacath looked) and wanted me to get it checked out when I went to the hospital the next day for my radiation mapping and simulation. …. and we all know what happened after that.  She is going  to be surprised to see that I have been dealing with the infection ever since.   I am hoping – crossing all my fingers and toes  – that with the infection so close to being fully healed she will give the go -ahead for the surgery in 3 weeks time. 

The other thing I have done this last week is buy myself some over-the-counter reading glasses –  just the lowest strength ones .  I have been having trouble with my eyes since i started chemo and they still haven’t returned to normal.  I talked to an optometrist but they do not want to do an eye exam and prescribe glasses for me until my oncologist says that my eyes will have stabilised, so I have just bought this pair to get me through until the oncologist gives the go-ahead.

my glasses

my glasses

I have given some thought to the fact that the person that is coming out the other end of this is quite different , both physically and mentally than the one that went into it.  I am going to have fun reinventing myself, keeping short hair, maybe glasses,  and buying clothes that I don’t have to accommodate a huge bust in.  When I come out the other end of surgery and recovery I will post a before and after shot.

I will let you know on Friday what the outcome of my breast surgeon appointment is.  On Friday afternoon I am going away for the weekend with YD.  I took her to Rotorua last year for a birthday treat and this year we are going to the Bay of Islands.  What she wants most for her birthday is some “Mum and me time”.  I suggested OH came to help with the driving but she wanted it to be just the two of us.  We are spending Saturday and Sunday up there and returning on Monday so it is not too rushed for either of us.  The only major activity we have planned while we are up there is going on one of the “dolphin discovery” boats.  Other than that we will just see what we feel like doing.  Her actual birthday is next Wednesday and she will be 20 years old.  I will no longer have any children/teenagers!!!

Previous Post
Next Post
Leave a comment

1 Comment

  1. jayne

     /  March 30, 2009

    Wow, you are the ‘trendy miss’. Love the glasses and can just picture you in them, with your new look. Short hair and less chest, yeah why not go all out.
    The ‘new you’, any one that doesn’t know what you have gone through (and there will be people), I’m sure will be pleasantly surprised if they recognise. No time to be practical, its time to get radical! – its sounding like a poem. Lol. x
    Hey, have a great 3 days with YD, great weather up north too.
    Jayne. x


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: