• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button

Them’s the breaks

Well I finally broke free of the hospital.  Came home yesterday afternoon and this morning I found it quite strange not doing things to a timetable and having to think about what I wanted for breakfast.  (after having to fill the hospital menu sheet in the day before and being stuck with limited choices). 

The days at the hospital weren’t too bad interspersed with visitors and drs rounds and talking to my room-mates.  D in her late 70’s and T in her late 50’s. We all agreed it was a good room to be in because we got on quite well.  Had fun playing ‘500’ one night with OH (I had got him to bring up some cards) and sis M bought me a new sort of card word game called ‘quiddler’ and she and I had great fun playing that on Saturday afternoon. 

I didn’t sleep well on Friday night and resorted to sleeping pills on Saturday and Sunday nights.  For some reason I couldn’t get to sleep, my brain just wouldn’t turn off (I wasn’t particularly worried about anything or in pain) and I finally nodded off about 1am which would have been fine if I hadnt been woken for my obs (blood pressure etc) soon after and my IV antibiotics at 4. After going to the loo at 5 (which I had to record as I had been a bit dehydrated when I came in and they were measuring intake and outflow so to speak)  I hopped back into bed, grabbed my cellphone to check the time and also use the light of my phone to write by, and dropped my phone on the floor. 

I picked it up AND THE SCREEN WAS DEAD – AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! As it had been my lifeline as I had basically been stuck in the room due to my blood count, I was pretty upset.  I waited til OH had woken up and then rung him -my phone still worked I just couldnt read anything on the screen and I knew his cell no. off by heart.  The sweety that he is, he went out and bought me a new phone and delivered it to me on Saturday afternoon.  I charged it overnight,  and learning my way around it kept me occupied for most of Sunday.  I unfortunately had not written down some of my numbers OOPS!!, managed to get most of the family ones off OH, OD and Sis M but was still missing some – so if you are one of my friends reading this and you have my cell no. txt me and let me know who you are if we havent been in contact since Friday. 

my morning cocktail

my morning cocktail

I’ve written post-it notes to myself and stuck them on the cupboard in the kitchen where our medicines are kept so I remember the order that I have to take the medications that I got sent home from the hospital with. (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime are all different combinations.) see photo for my morning cocktail of pills.  I was joking with one of ODs friends that not only am I a pill popper, when I have chemo etc I’m mainlining my drugs. 

I am in the healthy range now for my white cell count but I am being a very conscientious patient and not rushing out to do stuff.  OH, MD and I are going away for the weekend to Taupo and I want to be at peak wellness for that.  My white cells improved dramatically once we hit the end of the 7-10 days post-chemo that is the bottom of the curve for my white cell count.

One of the reasons we are going to Taupo is that this is the weekend MD can visit her Soulja Boi in Waiouru but she can only see him for a few hours on Sunday afternoon. We will leave on Friday afternoon,  spend Friday night and all Saturday doing stuff round Taupo.  On Sunday we will make our way down to Waiouru (about an hour or so south) drop MD off for her visit and OH and I will probably spend the afternoon in Ohakune.  We will pick MD up and then drive home Sunday night.  I am really looking forward to it as especially I missed out on a lovely dinner at Euro (expensive restaurant in Auckland – OH work related dinner) last night.

Next Post
Leave a comment

1 Comment

  1. Jayne

     /  September 30, 2008

    Glad to hear your back at home, in familiar territory and taking your ‘drugs’.
    Well your busy weekend is creeping up fast so rest up and savior a bit of sunshine while you can.
    Great that OH got you a new mob so soon, now we can txt again. (pop in 2 c u Fri 4 a while if u r up2it, I will txt 1st tho.)
    Your in my thoughts always, take care and hang in there.
    ‘U rock – gertrude does nt’!.
    JayneO x


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: