• Pages

  • comments

    If you have popped over here from my facebook page could you please add comments in the blog rather than on the link on facebook itself. I dont want to worry YD unnecessarily Thanks. You can now use your facebook log in so you dont need to enter extra details if you like
  • All about Gertrude

    Gertrude is the name we decided to call my cancerous breast hence the title of this blog. Although I had to keep my breast through chemo and radiation due to the nature of IBC - once it 'blew up' it no longer looked like my breast and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Calling it Gertrude was a way of seperating it from myself. This main page is where I write about the general goings on that relate to Gertrude, there is another page that are more a diary of treatments etc This blog is a public blog so although I am being very honest about my battle with Gertrude I have "changed names to protect the innocent" - because everyone can see it if you write comments on the blog pages please use the same abbreviations for other family member or friends that I do. Please feel free to ask questions if you want clarification because then other people who might have been wondering the same thing can read your question and our answers.
  • Abbreviations

    OH- Other Half (Hubby), OD- Oldest Daughter, MD- Middle Daugher, YD- Youngest Daughter, SB- soulja boi MD's fiance in the army (now ex fiance), OD's R OD's partner, BS- Breast surgeon whose initials just happen to be BS as well, BC- our GP (family doctor), Dr H- my medical oncologist, all other friends family etc will be referred to as initials etc
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 60 other followers

  • visitors


    No Princess Alone button

Too Busy

I haven’t updated  the blog for a few days -when I started feeling better I started to go out more and yesterday it caught up with me so I had a PJ day yesterday.  Feeling 100% better today for having had the rest.

On Friday went out to have a blood test (to check my blood counts) do some errands and spent some time “annoying” my workmates. On Saturday OD and I went to the Craft market and I bought myself another couple of hats.  We then went out for lunch and did grocery shopping.  On Sunday it was Father’s Day and YD was home for the day.  We took OH out for lunch and shopping.  I bought another hat.  later that day I recieved a gift from OD’s friends M&M which was another hat (purple and sparkley-thanks M&M) which meant my hat collection doubled in the space of two days.  OH commented that he thought that I had enough hats.  My response was that “A bald women can never have too many hats”. 

MD’s boyfriend intake date for the army got moved up which means he got his haircut on Sunday.  We’ve decided to call him “Soulja Boi” in this blog from now on.  On Monday morning MD and I saw him off on the Army bus. 

On Monday afternoon I had an appointment with the private breast clinic that I first went to to get diagnosed.  This was a preliminary visit with a breast surgeon to see what my options are in a few months time.  I will probably go privately for my breast surgery even though I am having my chemo and radiation in the public sector.  The reason for this is that I need work done on my left side as well,  which will probably not be able to be done under the public sector as it will be regarded as cosmetic rather than medical.

Those of you who know me know that I have rather large breasts.  In the public system they would take off my right breast but do nothing to my left.  As my right breast is never going to be reconstructed to a G cup (shock horror  – now you know!!) I need to have my left breast reduced.  – I’m thinking a nice C-D cup.  My right breast won’t get reconstructed straight away, with IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer)  they recommend waiting for at least two years.  I may decide to remain right side flat for the rest of my life and just use prosthesis for illusionary purposes.  I am glad I had this appointment because it means it gives me time to think about what I really want in the way of surgery rather than having to make snap decisions in a few months time. 

As you can see I had a pretty busy few days. In hindsight I probably shouldn’t have done quite as much and yesterday I deliberately stayed in my PJs so that I would stay at home and not do anything.  I had a bit of a nagging cough – probably from getting wet seeing Soulja Boi off on Monday.  I feel much better today and am glad I sat playing computer games on the couch yesterday. 

I am about to go out for my usual weekly afternoon tea with YD so Cheers

Leave a comment

1 Comment

  1. Keep flying high girl. Looking forward to reading more, hint hint…love Rob


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: